A rogue class with skill trees

When you are doing anything that gives you Warrior or Archer experience, it gives you rogue experience that is half of either of the others.
Also may earn very little by moving around with any locomotion method.

And here is some of my ideas of rogue skill trees.

*Mobility enhance tree:

“Dodge roll”
(While sprinting, rise both hands above your head, and touch both to the ground to preform, no pre charging needed. Move towards to your current sprinting direction in very fast speed for a short distance like 2-3 yards or so, the travel distance will be reduced if in water or crippled, skill need to be cooled down for 20-30 seconds to be used again.)

“Self saving”
An off branch of dodge roll.
(When a “dodge roll” is preformed, all effects above, plus water ignoring and crippled state, “trapped” state neutralizing.)

“Stealth”
An off branch of dodge roll.
(When a “dodge roll” is preformed, all effects above, plus invisibility for a short time as the next 3-5 seconds, player ID will become invisible to other players too, also monsters will not attack invisible players. You have to stand still or in slow moving speed/short distance TP to stay invisible, invisibility will be instantly expired once you sprint/long distance TP.)

“Escape”
A higher level of stealth.
(When a “stealth” is preformed, all effects above, plus invisibility will remain even if you sprint/full TP.)

All dodging skills above for TP users can be performed by press and hold TP button and do the same hands motions. The main point of this it it preforms instantly, plus certain higher level benefits.

*Vision enhance tree:

“Night vision”
(Cover your eyes with either hand for 4 seconds to charge and uncover to activate. Dark scenes become slightly brighter for the next 6 seconds or so, skill need to be cooled down for 15-20 seconds to be used again.)

“Looter’s instinct”
An off branch of night vision.
(When “night vision” is activated, all effects above, plus all near by chests, crates and boxed will be highlighted with a out line)

“Fighter’s instinct”
An off branch of night vision.
(When “night vison” is activated, all effects above, plus all near by monsters, animals will be highlighted with a out line)

“Predator’s instinct”
A higher level of fighter’s instinct.
(When “fighter’s instinct” is activated, all effects above, plus all near by players will be highlighted with a out line, invisible players are not included. This skill is mainly for team tracking or PvP propose.)

*Blade enhance tree:

“Bleeding strike”
(Rise your melee weapon for 2 seconds to charge, attack your target to activate. No extra damage from the first strike, but your target will continuously taking bleeding damage for the next 5 seconds. bleeding effect can be stacked, but the effect damage will not increase before a certain times of stacks are applied, once it did, bleeding effect will progress to next stage as heavily bleeding, and heavily bleeding effect can be renewed by keep stacking bleeding)

“Blinding srike”
(After “bleeding” is charged, hold it for another 4 seconds to charge “blinding”, attack your target to activate. This will deal all “bleeding” effects on your target plus 2 seconds of blind effect, your target monster will stop all activity and your target player will have blurry vision.)

“Trap deployment”
(When “blinding” is charged, hit on the ground to deploy a hardly visible trap that stays for the next 10 seconds. Any monster or player who first steps into the trap range, will take damage also loose all mobility for 3 seconds.)

*Arrow enhance tree:

“Bleeding arrow”
(Draw and hold the bow string for 2 seconds to charge, shoot at your target to activate. No extra damage from the first shot, but your target will continuously taking bleeding damage for the next 5 seconds. bleeding effect can be stacked, but the effect damage will not increase before a certain times of stacks are applied, once it did, bleeding effect will progress to next stage as heavily bleeding, and heavily bleeding effect can be renewed by keep stacking bleeding)

“Blinding arrow”
(After “bleeding” is charged, hold it for another 4 seconds to charge “blinding”, shoot at your target to activate. This will deal all “bleeding” effects on your target plus 2 seconds of blind effect, your target monster will stop all activity and your target player will have blurry vision.)

“Trap arrow”
(When “blinding” is charged, shoot at the ground to deploy a hardly visible trap that stays for the next 10 seconds. Any monster or player who first steps into the trap range, will take damage also loose all mobility for 3 seconds.)

All melee and ranged skills above in rogue tree can be charged and used along with warrior and archer skills from other trees.
For example, you can do a ground smash and deploy a trap at the same time if you have both skills and they are both charged.
Or you can shoot a power shot arrow that also blinds your target.

Just some ideas, concepts and mechanics I have been thinking about and wishing for.
If you have any ideas or opinions about it, drop it below, we share and discuss.

Forgot to cover, “dodge roll” for tp user could be press and hold the tp button and do the same hands motion, this is mainly for the higher level skill benefits.
And “escape” for tp user could be longer tp range while invisible.

This looks really cool, though it might make more sense for looter’s instinct to be a seprate off shoot of night vision instead of being a requirement for fighter’s instinct.

Also I think it might be cool if trapping was more of it’s own tree so people could specialize in it more.

If this was added I would tottaly ditch my ecolocation skills for the night vision and looter’s instinct.

1 Like

You could just edit the main post and add this in.

Thank you Edit, my self just all down to rollings, I like more ways of dodge and move and more dynamic combat.
If that is added by any chance, I will return all my other skills to move space for rollings first, and fit in some others after.

1 Like

There are a lot of contingencies here. More and more power. Neat.
I worry about the bleeding effect you propose, however. If it’s a stackable DoT, then a band of rogues could very well just overwhelm the enemy with stupid amounts of bleed. But if it’s not stackable, then other rogues wouldn’t be able to contribute much with their own bleed.

Also the stealth invisibility would be a bit powerful in PvP as it is. Possibly a movement speed decrease in stealth and slightly muffled footsteps? This would also make the ‘escape’ much more desirable to counteract the decreased speed.

I also feel that these should be more of a web than a branch system. We only have 8 skill slots to use, so having to dump half of the skill wheel and then gaining extreme gains seems a bit much. It would bring out the problems of balance because then the whole dodge tree is much more desirable than balancing your slots for mid-level abilities that give average effects in comparison.

Having different “flavors” of dodge, utility, and offense would definitely bring out variability and assert your own play style. Being only able to select a single modifier to each base skill would balance things out considerably. The ability to dodge and then invisible stealth walk is already an absurdly powerful ability, even with an extensive cooldown.

This would also prompt people to think about their choices a bit more thoroughly.
Perhaps you want to mitigate the downsides of a charge time. Pick the stealth roll as your dodge.
Mayhaps you want to be the main aggressor in a fight. Escape and bleeding strike become much more potent in tandem.

Having a quick movement that no other ability provides, being able to ignore slowing effects, become invisible, and with higher move speed after the fact? Seems overwhelmingly powerful. You would be able to destroy anything/anyone with just that combo.

I’m being nitpicky as all hell, but this is my personal take on this.

4 Likes

Hi Mantax64, thank you for replying, and you are totally fine, I posted this here just so share it out and every one is free to post their opinions.
I personally set it as bleeding is non stackable (though it looks like I had miss spelling in the post, I will change it) is because I like it that it is important for different players with different skills to team up together for certain task as adventure or mining, like you said, if it is stackable, wow a bleed rogue team can really be something mean XD.
And for escape, I tried my best to have expensive cool down timer with very short skill effect but also make it not useless. I don’t really like the pre charging is that the whole point of dodge roll branch is how you can use it instantly. I do think the movement speed boost don’t have to be too much, just a little, and may be make it smoke come out with foot steps or transparent over complete invisible, something that makes it not as OP.
And I also like the idea of a web system for rolling skills instead of a branch, so you can pick the one that strikes your fancy instead of progress it one after another.

1 Like

I think the bleeding debuff could be semi stackable, meaning the higher the stack, the more diminishing the return is, so a bleed stack of 1 would do X damage and a bleed stack of 10 would do twice as much and 100 stack would do three to four times the base damage. Or bleed stacks don’t add any more damage, but a bleed stack of 10-20 would turn into a heavy bleed which does a good deal more damage and the timer on that can be renewed by applying bleed (though there wouldn’t be a new stack of the normal bleed)

Either of these would give a more interesting dynamic of rouges wanting to keep a high bleed stack (or just heavy bleed) on the enemy.

To keep the options open, there could be a higher tier version which doesn’t slow you down (deadly invisibility that you need to spec a lot more for.) Though it’s hard to say if this would work, I do think there will most likely be counters to it, such as the ground slam attack or maybe AoE spells once magic comes out.

1 Like

Hey edit, I like your ideas very much, as bleeding could be stackable, but it works as “stacking does not build damage until you have certain times of stacks and it progress to next stage as heavily bleeding”
I also like that about stealth and escape, maybe instead of “stealth has normal moving speed and escape has a boost”, it could be more like "stealth only remain when you move slowly, once you sprint you loose invisibility, but escape gives you the ability to stay invisible while sprint in that few seconds.

1 Like

Did a little edit to the original post,
Thank you both @Edit and @Mantax64 for sharing your ideas and opinions.

1 Like