Add climbing god dammit Joel

Spacito spacito just do it lol

The way it’s implemented in Sword and Sorcery is actually pretty neat, but might require some changes to how the map is limited.

2 Likes

We’ve worked on some prototype climbing for ATT. We need to do some work on how the hands look for other players, and just some general polish.

Not sure when it will have time to be polished off. I think it would be better to evaluate it after we’ve cleaned up the IK issues with holding objects (for other players, the object they’re holding often disconnects from their hand).

10 Likes

I dont want polish, I want CLIMBING AAA
pls even if it looks buggy af i just wanna go climb things

6 Likes

Make only certain materials climbable , So that we can have like hiking areas
or mountain climbing spots , there’s plenty of potential in that. (Like that climbing mechanic in VRchat that a player made without any scripts in Unity )

3 Likes

“Certain materials” being all rock walls (maybe change the texture of the rock walls in mountain pass and make them unclimbable so we cant climb over the parts that need to explode). I don’t want to finally get climbing and have it be like “oh if you want to climb go to the climbing area or the climbing wall,” i want to climb ALL the mountains even if there’s nothing at the top, BOTW style.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t see why they need to add climbing only to climb mountains.
currently there are plenty of mountains you can climb (just gotta be creative).

I rather find an obstacle climbing course or something like a climbing wall and in the end of it there’s gonna be a some sort of reward or like an entrance to a secret dungeon (I dunno), there has to be a challenge to it or else its just a useless feature that doesn’t add much.
But thats my opinion.

Example for a climbing wall :smile: :

2 Likes

@Matssu I’m totally on board with having a dedicated climb course with a reward at the end but i don’t want that to be the only thing, i want to be able to climb all the giant mountains too.

2 Likes

Oh Ok , I thought you wanted like only mountain climbing

1 Like

No not at all i was just worried you were implying that there should only be one or a few places you could climb

2 Likes

It would also be neat to add like a climbing training course by the training grounds.

1 Like

How would climbing work though? I remember in the discord someone brought up climbing pick and a sack of climbing gear (pretty sure it was larry).

2 Likes

totally an old thread but I saw such mechanic in different games.
Got a few ideas ,

1. it can be an option on the pop-up menu like (Climb Mode)
  2. it can be gear wise (more annoying to swap sets)
  3. it can be activated by a certain gesture or like grabbing a holster on your body or something.

its literally just gonna be like… grab a ledge and pull yourself up. no need for crappy gui shit, this is alta we’re talking about

2 Likes

I think it should involve picks but should also have craftable gloves so you can full on BOTW that cliff.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t involve any tools or gear, assuming it’s simply a feature that everyone can use and not a new profession. Just let it be regular climbing and mantling that any able-bodied person could do in real life, and drain stamina a bit while you’re hanging from whatever it is you’re climbing. So you can pull yourself over rocks and low walls, jump through windows and out of horrible terrain geometry traps, and up trees to surprise other players and to nab eggs from nests.

2 Likes

@Eturian I like that, but when I say tools, I mean for climbing giant cliffs and mountains. The stuff you said should go on your survival skill tree idea.

3 Likes

I think no gear needed to start would be best, but possibly a stamina bar like BotW or Shadow of the Colossus which would mean people don’t suddenly turn into spiders and can hold onto walls and ceiling forever.

Also climbing gear could be an optional thing such as gloves that reduce stamina drain or even some hooks that, with some effort to get on and off, that let you rest.

The stamina could tie into stats and/or skills.

Edit: @Zebulaun that is a good point, climbing related skills could go in the survival tree.

5 Likes

For the climbing courses and walls that have roots or rocks sticking out, that would make sense. But if you’re gonna go climb a super smooth cliffside, I think you should have to have some picks. I do like where you are going with optional upgrades tho, maybe just the gloves would be that.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, different rock wall rock types could have different properties, such as some needing picks, while other ones only drain stamina faster.

2 Likes