Blow dart as a ranged weapon

Add blow dart as a ranged weapon form.

Add a carpentry blue print to craft wooden blow tube. Darts are made of arrow heads/spikes plus feathers, like arrows with out shafts.

I would love to be able to shoot it out by blowing my mic, it may involve some voice recognition function though, not sure how difficult it is to add, but it would be fun.

It would be super easy to do the mic thing, the DS did it with mario kart to blow up balloons

3 Likes

I’d say have it pretty sensitive where just making a good pfft kind of noise. Having to do too much to activate it would make it very gimmicky like the DS games that have used it.

2 Likes

I can imagine the dart tube as a good way to poison or otherwise apply effects to enemies and people, it should also do less damage than a bow maybe 1 valyan dart would do 50% the damage of a valyan arrow.

Also, the reeds that those dart tubes would be made with could have some cool uses. Reed handles, furniture, maybe scaffolding for building, flutes, sugar for cooking and potions (the reeds are sugar cane), and making cool buildings (reed foundations, reed walls, etc.)

2 Likes

Ehh, I think it would be almost solely effect applying. Blow darts have never really been used to stab someone to death. A more direct way to use it for damage is deadly poisons.

3 Likes

Yeah, would be mostly an assassin’s tool.

2 Likes

Yeah! Gonna dip it in the poison for the best of use, I like it.
Just make sure don’t make the sip sound, other wise you will swallow it yourself, kidding. lol

Well, now this whole dipping thing made me thinking of if you can dip the dart in healing potion and make a healing dart…
You know, acupuncture.

2 Likes

Starting to make it sounds like support class mechanics, like a Bard that plays his flute to buff players, and then uses the same flute as a blowgun to debuff/poison enemies!
Also … I’ve tried to dip arrows in potions for the same idea, but obviously doesn’t work. (Although does make a “splosh” sound as it’s dipped!) Would be nice if this was all implemented together.

2 Likes

That would be funny, and maybe even fun, but I think part of the reason blow darts are poison based is because you can get some very potent poisons, but I guess we really never had healing potions IRL.

Still I think healing make more sense with mages, just think of a healing circle spell with the mage trying to keep everyone in it, a lot more people healing at the same time.

1 Like

Healing, yeah, but a blowdart would be perfectly good for delivering an adrenaline shot, or an antidote for any monster-given status effects.

1 Like

Hey @Eturian, this is awesome.
I am started to imagine a professional blow dart player carries a tube on one hip and few different effect darts stacks in other bubbles on the belt, and use the right one on right target at the right time.

2 Likes

Maybe theres a little holder you can wear on one hip that holds like 3 types of darts.

1 Like

What a beautiful idea!

That sounds great, an assassin would wear the blowdart and darts on one side with a dagger (or some other weapon) on the other side.

2 Likes

Just imagine dipping a dart in a 4 raw spriggull stew. That enemy will be so well fed as they die of food poisoning.

1 Like

would be fine for people with mic but mutes and people who dont use mics would be unable to use it

2 Likes

I been trying to think of a solution for this too. Our vr controllers just simply can’t move out another button for special abilities and such.
Maybe an optional auto shot you can turn it on and off? When auto shot is off, you blow your mic for the best immersion, when auto shot is on, you will have 1 second to aim after placing tube in front of your mouth, and it automatically shoots the dart out after a sec.
This is the best I can think of so far.

Yeah “filling.”

I think it would be best if the way you applied stuff to darts using a concentrated form and then applied to the darts, though darts could then be stacked in a normal slot or in a dart bag which has three slots for different dart types and one slot to hold the blowtube.

That sounds pretty good, a little bit of a disadvantage for mutes, but nothing serious.

1 Like

Why not just use the trigger on the hand holding the blowpipe? Doesn’t trigger unless you have the mouthpiece held up to your face, and have a one-second delay/charge when you press and hold the trigger for your character to puff the dart out. Add in a little “breathe - blow” sound effect for immersion.
Completely avoid the issue of actually blowing into your mic. It was fun for blowing up balloons in Mariokart DS, but when you’re using the same mic to talk to other players too, everyone within earshot will just hear that horrible “breathing on a mic” noise over and over. Blowpipes are meant to be silent/stealth weapons anyway, right?
Also removes the problem for anyone without a mic, or that are mute, etc etc.

1 Like