Butchering animals

Instead of animals dropping loot such as drumsticks or leather when they die, there is instead a carcass. This will need to be butchered in town or in the field, with a higher chance to mess up the cut when in the field.

There would likely be three stages - the field dressing, to remove unwanted organs and such; the skinning, to obtain leather/fur/feathers; and the actual butchering, to cut off edible chunks of meat and get at the bones. After the field dressing, players could either bring the carcass into Town to the butcher’s shop, or finish the job there in town. Moving the carcass would be more of a hassle than transporting the meat, but it would be more difficult to successfully skin and butcher the animal in the field. There would definitely be a possibility of failure, so cutting too deeply or in the wrong place could mess up both the current step and future steps.

Other notes:
Blood, gore, intestines, details, etc would of course be simplified and sanitized to an ATT-acceptable level.
Butchering would likely use a system similar to carpentry to show players where to cut and such.
If food spoiling (Food spoiling) or something similar is implemented, field-dressing the animal would make the raw meat last much longer.

I like the idea and I’d think it would add a lot to the game where gathering food, bones, feathers, leather and other things from animals has more steps to it.

I do worry that it might make the game a pain for players that wouldn’t like the system though, as either you get no loot if you don’t have butchering skills/or like the system or you have to haul all the animals you kill back for someone else to deal with if you do want it.

So if it’s more set up as a job/class for some players it has to be done where hauling back animals isn’t too hard to do (wagons and such), there could also be a system where you can bypass butchering all together for a lot less materials in the form of attacking the carcass until it drops some of the meat, leather and such that it would have.

2 Likes

I think that makes sense, for there to be a minimum amount of material gained even if you do a fast, lousy job of butchering it (or just whack the carcass like a piñata). This gives players another trade-off between speed and effectiveness. Regarding this as a profession, @FyreKZ and I are plotting an idea post proposing essentially a ranger profession with a skill tree and a variety of related activities, systems, and features - trapping, hunting, stealth, butchering, more meat prep/cooking options, perhaps tree climbing, camouflage.

3 Likes

Sounds cool, just make sure it gives room for players to focus in on the possessing stuff or the more ranger stuff if they want, so a player can choose to be good at hunting/getting carcasses or really good at breaking them down when they are brought back by other players.

1 Like

This butchering post is now a subset of this hunting idea:

2 Likes

When I saw it on the discord I though eh not too bad but then I heard 3 stages it seems like a gigantic hassle to do just to make some edible meat I think the game is kinda aiming simplistic and not too tedious likely players would think it’s annoying that it’s a hassle to even transport the carcass causing a ton to be everywhere and players might think it’ll be too hard to so then a ton of players that rely on meat switch to fruit just to not have to do all this

1 Like

This may even be a good use for the smaller blade types, which I don’t see very often. You could even make certain metals able to harvest certain tiers of animals. You could also add a tanning rack outside of the crafting house.

3 Likes