Can we get some proper sheath's? (and other stuff)

I’ve seen some things like this (the sheath part) on the discord so I thought i’d bring it here.

What if after a long time of exposure to the elements unprotected, metal objects like swords began to rust? This rust could be cleaned off, but if left unchecked, it will wear the sword down and the weapon will have to be repaired. You can make sheaths and maybe scabbards that protect your tools and weapons from rusting. Being inside a backpack will also protect tools. I think only built tools should rust, so an ax head without a handle wont rust.
There was an idea about hidden wrist blades where I suggested that instead of an Assassin’s Creed style gauntlet with a popping blade, there should be a wrist sheath for a dagger.
Probly would be like this but with a more leathery color and less modern (obviously)

I’d really like sheaths for weapons; I’d say make only daggers and knuckles fit on the hotbar, and every sword that fits now needs a sheath to go on your side. I might be going too far with the difficulty aspect here, but its something I’d personally like.

3 Likes

And I am imagining, the grabbing mechanic for sheath will be same as quiver, a normal grab to your hip will let you grab your weapon, and grab again on the hip can grab the empty sheath.
If you want to grab the sheathed weapon as a whole, hold to grab like current pouch or quiver.

3 Likes

Hold on, this really gets me thinking.
So first, for combat mechanic, mainly PvP, because currently in game, you can (should be able to if not lagging or desyncing) block an incoming slash with your weapon, but the mob attack are shield block only, so if you grab the sheathed weapon with your off hand and draw it out with your main hand, this way you can attack with weapon in your main hand and block with sheath in your off hand as how you would block an incoming slash with a sword but holding in reverse way.
Second, if weapons will get rusty by exposure to air, there they can add a grinding wheel in blacksmith, so if you sheath your weapon or keep it in bag/lock box, they will be unlikely to get rusty, and if your weapon got rusty, you have to go grind and polish them with the grinding wheel.

1 Like

I dunno how I feel about using sheaths as shields…

2 Likes

It will not be completely act like a shield since it’s narrow shape, it will surely unable to block a turabada punch, but it would be epic to be able to block an incoming sword swing just by collision as how sword blocking sword is intended to be, with out lag and desync.
And for sure I personally wish if a swing at incoming wyrm spit can cut it in half too, you have no idea how many times I just slash my sword at incoming wyrm spits by reflex and thought that I can cut it in half…

Really only scabbards could be used for blocking, sheaths are a bit too flimsy

1 Like

Oh yeah, that is what I meant.
Sorry I did not know there is a difference between two in English. XD
Just googled them.

2 Likes

Well what about weapons that you cant put on your side would those just be protected in your backpack?

1 Like

I would assume so; it would make sense, and would make sure rusting isnt super common.

1 Like

Having slots on the backpack would help, but yes, put them in the bag

I love the idea of sheaths and scabbards, the main issue we need to solve is how are custom weapon builds going to fit with this sort of asset design.

4 Likes