Cooking and Wildlife

Like my Baking and Utensils posts, (Baking In The Future and Smaller Cooking Utensils) this one will include more ideas in the way of cooking. Frying, most people love fried meats, adding cooking oil as a craftable resource say from vegetables and such as the olive, how olive oil would be made in-game would include crushing the olives (after removing the pit) and throwing them into the standard cooking pot and after a but of time the oil could turn the top of the water a sheen of gold that can be retrieved with the ladle and placed into a bottle. Once enough was collected the pot could be emptied and filled with your newly acquired oil and brought to a high temperature. Then out comes a fried meaty goodness. Maybe make tongs to grab the fried food out. When more wild life is added this could be an opportunity to add different cuts of meat. Instead of two drum sticks from the dodo,(?) maybe the breast could be dropped as well. For cows (or cow like animal) could give ribs, steaks, and maybe the brisket. Pigs could drop the belly (can be cut into bacon), pork chops, shoulder. Lamb could drop the rack (which could be cut into chops), the loin (which can also be cut into chops), and the rump for lamb steaks. Moving on from animals and their cuts of meat, we move onto utensils. In my post on this I mentioned pans and smaller pots. Expanding on this, maybe a homestead kind of oven or stove (https://gyazo.com/5aa6b81617bcbcda6333383246762801 or https://gyazo.com/40ab8595cfda38a4e914193b39e9ebdf) could be added to the game a faster alternative to cooking (and add baking) food and make pans (if added) useful. When using a pan instead of the meat just cooking all the way it could cook on one side and they you would have to flip it to fully cook it. Plates would be a neat introduction into the world of cooking, instead of just bowls we can use plates to serve food in portions, like a breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon, the possibilities are quite endless. Ovens can be used for baking bread, making taking up to one in-game hour or more. Also the player can make cakes and other kinds of pastries with the use of the oven. Moving onto more baking options, there could be pies and quiche (Quiche is a savory dish consisting of pastry crust filled with eggs, milk or cream, and cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables.). Pie fillings can be made my mashing fruit in a mortar and pestle. Dodos can drop eggs passively or there can bee a dodo area where they have vests for players to raid to get the egg needed in a quiche, cows can be milked and the milk used to make the cheese. This isnt all of my ideas, feel free to throw yours in the comments and maybe we can brainstorm as a community to making cooking a better experience!

All of this looks good from what I can tell, but it’s kind of hard to navigate the idea since it’s a wall of text.

1 Like

Very nice. Regarding the layout of the cooking station I think it would be sweet to have what’s shown in the second picture (shelves for storage on one side) but with the older style oven from the first pic in the middle, and a secondary hotplate / grill area to the other side.
Could also easily have a new ingredient as a kind of thickening agent to add to all of the existing soups and potions to turn them into a paste / pie filling to put into all of your new suggested types of pastries :smiley:

1 Like

With detail comes walls of text lol

I agree with you on the stove thing. I think that would look amazing. As for the thickening agent, how would that work for pies? The natural sugars of the fruits melt into a paste on their own, but I would like to hear more about your idea.

Not necessarily, breaking up into sections with headers helps, and if that isn’t posable, just breaking the paragraphs with line breaks would work.

You right. Might edit it.

1 Like

I was thinking that it could maybe use boiled down bones/marrow for the gelatin, or flour (once farming is added) or simply potatoes for starch. Any would make the mixture thicker and set harder (than a straight soup would) after cooking. Potentially also allowing the finished pie to be cut into portions; so you can make a single pie and cut it into 4 or 6 pie wedges to make it last longer and also share amongst friends and other players. Just as you can with pumpkins for example.

Additional - Using only fruits would give the higher sugar content for sweet confectionery and rustic candies, which would give a nice added variety to things you can bake and potential multiple uses for the same ingredients. Like fruit “jerky” and candied apples, etc etc.

1 Like

That is a great idea. Use knives to cut it into slices, the more you hit it the more slices

2 Likes

one chop to halve it, another to make quarters. Is eighths too much?

Also - candied apples could so easily be a thing already! Arrow shafts for the sticks, apple skewered on top. Slightly over-cook a bunch of blueberries in a half-filled pot until you get a sugary fruit paste. Produces enough to dip half a dozen apples in. Would be beautiful.
Or, make exactly as above but add chopped cooked apples into the mix and then pour into shallow pie case. Apple and blueberry tart.

1 Like

I think eighths would be the best, a quarter would be a bit too chunky and any more would be a bit too thin.

1 Like

Maybe the pie sizes can vary. Instead of making a big pie you can make personal ones. And yeah, you’ve got the right idea, halves, quarters and eights. As for the arrow shaft idea we can cut them and get smaller sticks to skewer the apples.

2 Likes

Ooh, I think mini pies should be able to be cut once, enough to share with a friend.

1 Like

That would make more sense.

2 Likes