Friend System

Migrated from roadmap

Would love to know how peoples are envisioning friends.

Do you want to add friends through some kind of interaction in the game? Or do you want to add them through the launcher by their username?

5 Likes

Interaction in Game sounds better for the VR Experience

5 Likes

maybe by using the in game menu wheel have a friend link bubble that you activate and hand to someone like a contact/biz card. when accepted it creates a friend link on both players.
this way it can’t be abused as both parties need to interact to make the link.
possibly a more advanced method for guilds later…

6 Likes

launcher would prolly be best. either that, or another bubble that you can select, and then point at the person you want to add.

2 Likes

Lol I like the idea of a business card. We’ve discussed before that it could simply be shaking someones hand, but that might be slight too “easy”.
I think guilds will likely be better as a meta thing in the launcher, as guilds could possibly span multiple servers, but then again they could setup a notice on some kind of notice board so in game could work too.

2 Likes

Yeah I like this way of doing it, if it needs to be a little less easy (so new players don’t add friends just by grabbing at something in someone’s hand, it could be that both players have to bring out their contact orb and put them together, and then some confirmation gesture that shows the other players name, so that people can’t make friends by running in with their contact orb.

1 Like

Perhaps like the orbs in the shrines: the orbs get brought out by both players and need to be in contact for a few seconds for the circle to fill, like how you put the orbs into the shrine pedestal and the circle fills up before it locks in.
Then if someone tries to interrupt you just let go of the orb and it cancels out. If the exchange is successful you bring your orb back to yourself before letting go, a bit like using the exit game orb.
Could work.
Edit: as a bonus stretch - once the touch exchange is complete your orb will have the new friends name on it to confirm success prior to connecting it back to yourself?

3 Likes

Yeah that would work great! It would be easy to make sure that you are adding the right person without a second confirmation.

2 Likes

And there could be a friends list in the starting house

4 Likes

Sure, but it would also be good to be able to check the list in a server, maybe if you used the contact orb in a different way? such as throwing it against the ground to open up the friends list.

I think it’s important that we can check who is online without exiting a server or looking at the discord.

When you pick up the server orb, maybe have the player names of those online in the server appear around it?
Or a simple "Friends?players online - " line of text beneath the server name.

1 Like

That sounds good, though I would add onto that with the list only appearing if you hold the orb facing you, so that it isn’t in the way when making new friends.

Both would be great because it would be fun to add people in game but also your friends in the launcher!

3 Likes

You could have a icon above their head like a buddy tag or something like that