Name Tags for Backpacks

Basically, a tag that shows the name of the owner of a backpack. In case the owner was to die, it could be given back to them easily, it would also make the Lost and Found channel on the discord a little more useful, for example, if someone died in the Mountain Pass, and someone finds their stuff, they could go on the discord and say something like, “@(owner of stuff) Found your stuff, I’ll meet you at spawn.” This would really help new players or someone who lost their stuff really deep in the mines, as they might be discouraged to play after their stuff was lost.

TL;DR: A tag that shows the username of the owner to help them get their stuff back quickly.

This could be extremely useful for all players but do you think that the tags should automatically appear if you toggle it or do you think they should be craftable and require a pen and ink to write on. Personally I think they should require cloth and some kind of stiff material like a tiny metal plate so they keep their form to craft. They then would be written on using pens and ink (dye) or typed on with a typewriter. Check out my posts about dyes and printing for details about how these materials and tools would work.

3 Likes

So is the owner the person who originally crafted the backpack/the first person to pick it up? If thats the case how would you gift one to a friend?

4 Likes

That’s actually a really good point. If the tags become craftable, or if they just get dispensed, there could be a way to take the tag off and put a new one on, but for that system, to prevent theft, there should be a way that only allows the owner of the tag to take it off and put it on.

5 Likes

Yeah could just make it so that crafted ones automatically get your tag, and found unclaimed ones can be assigned a tag through some procedure. And yeah I agree, ideally only the owner can remove it to gift it to someone.

They would be interesting for theft too though, cos you could almost see the tags as a kind of accolade. And a successful thief might have a collection of these tags to show off how many people they’ve stolen from.

8 Likes

Maybe when the friends system comes out only your friends can interact with your bag if you give them permission via a friend
s menu in the starting house

2 Likes

@zakmcpants That kind of defies the whole idea of ATT being a community who looks after one another. What happens if you die 40 floors down in the mines and somebody random finds your backpack? Nothing, they might tell you where it is but you already knew that, if they could pick it up, they’d bring it up for you and tell you to meet them so they can give it back. The entire reason we want backpack tags is because we want people who find our bag to be able to tell us they found it.

3 Likes

I think what fits better with ATT is that you can freely change the name tag on the backpack at some station. So you can find a backpack that belongs to “Comical” and you -could- then try to return it to Comical. You could also just take it to the sewing machine and rip their name off of it and sew in “Timo” instead. Now the next person who finds the backpack has the same choice. They know who this used to belong to and they get to decide who it now belongs to.

Nothing functionally changes except that good natured players have an easier time returning lost items.

5 Likes

No i meant you can give people the permission to take stuff out the bag but anyone could hold and bring it Up for you just it would take away any reason for someone to just run off with your bag if they couldnt take anything

1 Like

I’m strongly against this idea. I believe like the others that it should be possible for others to access your bag and steal it. If anyone still decides to give you your bag back than you know that that person is extra nice

1 Like

I almost hated you @Eden because I thought you were talking about the tags. I do have to agree that the interactions should be the same as they are now, anyone can take any bag that is on the ground. But name tags should still be in the game, that’s a good idea.

4 Likes

Good idea though just not for pvp

1 Like

what if for the backpacks make it so all players can see into the backpack but only the player holding it could grab items out and visibility of the items would be disabled in pvp or even have a small switch/button players can press to let other players see there stuff

I don’t think anybody said something against this, but that technically means you are correct, kind of the wrong topic to put this on tho considering there are topics about making it so others can’t grab things out of backpacks.

I go mining very often with people not of my friends list (usually new players). I pick up tons of handles while in the mines, so my inventory and hands are almost always full; I find other players taking stuff from my bag to be an overall positive feature, as it makes full inventories more manageable.

2 Likes

I think the crafted bag should be enough for a tag. it makes players strive to want to build their own bag after they get the hang of the game. And it a good way to show off your craftmanship like a personal name brand per say.

1 Like

Depends on how customize-able they are, but yeah being able to just describe the bag in #lost-n-found like that would make it way nicer since you aren’t just working with what is in it to identify, but a tag would help skip that step to go to “it is 100% this person’s bag no doubt, no guessing and no questioning”

Also this is an old post from when crafting bags weren’t confirmed, or really we didn’t know anything about it beside “it will happen at some point.”

Yea I’m just going through the old post to see what been said and how people reacted to them while at work so when I post something next time I know at least 25% of the outcome. And all so to check things off my list of ideas.

1 Like

Oh yeah going over all the posts is good, it’s so nice that they are all in any easy to access format with the website.

1 Like

That is so true. Because whe it was on discord it took for ever to scroll up

1 Like