Personal House Building

Migrated from Roadmap

The ability to build your own house, to furnish, and store stuff in. These could be built on designated plots around the world.

I think the houses should be able to have various furniture pieces such as chests, shelves, tables, chairs, kitchen counters, lecterns, bookshelves, typewriters (see idea about printing and engraving), cooking equipment, torch wall holders, lantern roof hooks, fireplaces with a spot to store stacks of wood wedges (please), carpets, beds, and more. Also as a little mini idea, please add some sort of key press so we can forge keys and locks to lock our doors and give our friends keys to them, also please make keys go on a hook on your belt so we don’t have to waste inventory space and let us keep keys on death so people can’t kill us then steal our houses. (I know the devs are leaning towards having house locks be hand scan based, but im gonna leave the part about keys in here)

15 Likes

Are you thinking Fallout 4 kind of decorating? Because that (with a lot of tweaking) would be a great way to do it.

the fire place could be locked to the wall when choosing where to place it, so you can only put it on the wall.

2 Likes

Never played Fallout 4, and I cant watch a video right now, but from what you said about the fireplace, I feel like that’s exactly what i’m thinking

4 Likes

Oh no their isn’t the fireplace lock thing in Fallout 4, but it generally lets you place things anywhere on the ground/walls/ceiling for the respective pieces of decoration and shows you what it will look like their before putting it down/making it.

Also it would be nice to be bale to nudge things before they are placed to get them in just the right spot.

2 Likes

At some point there would be too many houses being built, would it also be possible to build small camp sites, like a couple of tents and a fire pit to show you are staying in a said area as well? That would be kinda cool

3 Likes

I think this is a great idea, I’d love to see people create their own houses and maybe throw “house parties”

2 Likes

also this allows for more personal storage, meaning you can make a whole bunch of stuff and keep it, like multiple axes, pickaxes and the likes.

2 Likes

How many houses will be available? I woried because if there would be only 20 houses and 25 to 50 Players on the server it would be pretty bad i think, also the price could be a interesting thing because most of the players should have already a big amount of money and for pretty new players or midgame- players it could get realy expansive. Don’t get me wrong, I personaly love the idea to have a own home with a kitchen, maby a crafting station, some chests for storage and some privat space, but if there is no restriction for the amount of players at the server it could be pretty difficult to creat enough building space or plots for houses for all players.

4 Likes

With that, you should also have to buy the tools i.e. wood, doors, carpet etc…

3 Likes

They’ve already said that the current servers are basically temporary for now, and there will eventually be many more servers, including private servers. If there are only 20 - 25 plots to build on, maybe there’ll be a soft player limit of around the same number.
But the map will also become bigger and bigger as time goes on, so the number and variety of plots could be huge.
Also, there may even be an option for co-habiting with friends and guild members, which I think would be an excellent option, as it’s a social game anyway and would encourage people to work on the house build together.

4 Likes

I also think that having a house shouldn’t be something you “just get”. It should be something you really have to work for alone or with friends.
I really like the idea of building your own houses as mentioned above by others. Maybe have different outlines for houses which one have to buy. With this outline the player can build such a house. Materials have to be brought by the player self.

2 Likes

I don’t think that all stations e.g. kitchens etc. should be available in the house because it could cause for many players to isolate themselves. Also the “outside” stations really help to socialize and make friends. It would be really sad to see that atmosphere disappear.

2 Likes

Kitchens are literally the only station that should be in a house… How many people do you actually see at the tavern when you cook, few to none. The blacksmith is one of the only places people socialize, and conveniently, the only work station that can’t be put into houses.

3 Likes

@Zebulaun True. But it was just an example (a really poor one😂). I just want to say that not all stations should be inside bc. I’m afraid that it will rob the game of social interactions.

2 Likes

Agreed, the houses could have a kitchen, a loom (when tailoring hopefully comes), and some other stations. The forge is an absolute no not just because of social interaction but also because according to the lore, the forge is ancient tech we can’t replicate.

5 Likes

Got.a.question for house building will a new plot be made when the well if the most players that had ever been on x server had been ten would there be 10 plots then if another player the most player increase to 11 then would there be 11 plota or would it jusy be like 100 plots of land to get before they run out

1 Like

@zakmcpants I don’t think adding a new plot of land every time the overall player count goes up would be very efficient, as it would definitely require a server restart and a wipe. On top of that, many players come to the game just to check things out. You can’t expect every player to stay for long enough to build their own house. Imagine getting disconnected for minutes at a time every single time a player tops the overall player count.

3 Likes

i have and idea for the housing and storage as well as player own houses say if you wish to have friends who can have access to your house they would need a key to have access to it the key could be a key ring around players wrist that can show up when they look at there wrist in a way almost similar to hw they look at there HP and also they can have more keys to say chest inside players homes but not shelves because well its a shelve XD im hoping this idea could come helpful in the making of houses as well guild houses or friend houses also to add if there more then one friends who want to live in players homes they could also have keys to there own rooms and chest if they where to build things for there own rooms as said i hope these ideas can help :slight_smile: (sorry if i didnt explain alot very clearly but hope i could help more some how)

2 Likes

@creedygunslinger I like the idea of having the keys (I posted a similar idea in discord and on this forum a while ago) but the devs mentioned that they are gonna lean towards having a hand scan system as the door’s locks (like the lock box in town hall). I personally would prefer having a locksmith and key system. However, I have a couple knitpicks at your idea, I think rather than having the key ring on our wrist, it would be better to have it on one of our man belt loops/hooks that are currently unused. On top of that, we should keep keys on death so people can’t kill us and then change our houses’ locks. I also don’t think chests should be lockable, that would result in too many keys taking up space, if you want to keep a chest safe, put it behind a locked door. Other than that, your idea seems pretty good.

2 Likes