Skillsystem - Adding usage system

My idea is to have a skillsystem, that is not only relying on buying the skill instead using the skill after buying to increase its effectiveness.

How can this be properly done?
It’s quite simple but have a lot of future potential and adds a wonderful and new way for getting even more into a profession/ skill.

After you buy the skill, the skill orb at your character skill table gets little dots, which indicates the rank of this skill.
You can upgrade this skill with using it properly.
At first it could have less impact of the current strength of the base skill but increase later on.

The 4 Dots which indicates following ranks:

• Novize
  • Adept
  • Master
  • Legendary (Visual)

While the first 3 skill rank ups are only usability features (power increase/ dmg increase/range increase of mine shaker, etc) would be the 4th only a visibility rank. It could change or add a even better glow/sparkle, etc. to the existing skilleffect.

You would need to decrease the the experience needed for obtaining a skill as you only obtain a weaker skill in relation to the current one while you still need a lot of experience later on. But that’s only maths for you awesome devs :slight_smile:

For the current I will stick with a complete linear integer based system.

I‘ll give an example with the blacksmith proficiency.

Power Strike 1 (only estimated with wiki)
Novize: 5% dmg increase per activation
Adept: 15% dmg increase p.a.
Master: 25% dmg increase p.a.
Legendary: instead of a white glow, a golden more Fire-like glow with a louder sfx.

Power Strike 2 (as PS1 and PS2 are nearly identical except the hit activation count, the more ranks you have in PS1 the faster you can level up PS2. With that, it wouldn’t be wasted to level up PS1 at first and go for different directions before going on PS2)

Ember composer
Novize: 50% heating up
Adept: 75% heating up
Master: 100% heating up
Legendary: a way bigger more golden flame

Heartcaller (as we don’t now the maths I’ll only give an idea for rank 4)
Normal: as the other ones, unstead of a white glow a golden fire-like glow
Furor: instead of white bluish circles around the hit, bigger golden ones with louder sfx
Ember: bigger flames with louder sfx

I think this system can be upgraded to nearly every existing skill which gives us more real usage to the skills. It can give us the opportunity to increase our skills rather than only having it and it’s done. You can show other players that you are really into some specific profession instead. And while you helping them in crafting and gathering related profession, you’ll get something back with skill progression (if you don’t have max level). It will give you a sense of accomplishing and mastering a certain skill.

Edit:
I think Implementation and dependencies are relativ easy except for the visual one. Instead of having only the skill like it is currently, you have a linear stacked skill which is doing almost the same only stronger after leveling up. And leveling up the skills can be using with the currently leveling system, only instead of hit recognition you have skill activation leveling progress.

I think even rank 4 could be accomplished with not too much difficulties. You would only need to change/ beef up the currently used visual effect, that’s already implemented and make it depended on activation only if rank 4.

Edit2:
Even changing the color in rank 4 from bluish to a more golden/reddish look would make at the first step a big difference.

Visual thoughts (stolen from WoW)

Edit3: I know that it would increase the grind but the usage system would give weight and accomplishment behind it. Even helping others will increase the skill so that you can have at last the visual superiority and can be proud to have something that not everyone has. Currently everyone is on the same level. Nothing makes you really special except the number of materials you have in your stash and backpack.

@Cirez I read it m8. Do you have visual concept?

@Tima_Alta Visual concept is difficult for me. Without having the original texture it’s quite difficult to change/ add more stuff to it.
I think Implementation and dependencies are relativ easy except for the visual one. Instead of having only the skill like it is currently, you have a linear stacked skill which is doing almost the same only stronger after leveling up. And leveling up the skills can be using with the currently leveling system, only instead of hit recognition you have skill activation leveling progress.

I think even rank 4 could be accomplished with not too much difficulties. You would only need to change/ beef up the currently used visual effect, that’s already implemented and make it depended on activation only if rank 4.

Even changing the color in rank 4 from bluish to a more golden/reddish look would make at the first step a big difference.

I like this idea overall, we’ll think about how it plays out for all the skills to see how it can evolve them. An interesting concept is if new skills in the skill tree could require certain levels of a particular skill to be obtained.

Currently, the upgraded slowdraws for archery are powered up versions of the base. They are this way to make the cost of upgrading the skill take up a skill slot so that you’re really specializing. As the skill tree expands however, I could see that shift to this kind of system.

A soft skill point version of it could be that you require a level in archery in general + a level in that skill to upgrade it? This’ll all depend on how easy it ends up being to get a skill upgrade.

In general though, I like the idea of using the skill being how you upgrade the skill, rather than spamming regular archery/combat/blacksmithing or wtv.

Do you mean with your soft skill point version, that the skill upgrade would consume to the current skill level point an additional tree point?
If that is the thing, it’s what you said. It depends on how fast you can obtain in.
I would prefer to lvl the skill passively while you can actively choose which skill you want to buy next instead of deciding, buying skill or upgrading existing one.
Maybe you can implement a requirement to that you only can get skill ranks if you have a certain amount of skills in the same tree. Like a master class activated in the skill tree. It would reward the players for going really deep into a profession instead of being way more versatile with different proficiencies.

I do like this idea very much so. (Stupid 20 character limit)

1 Like

Yeah, I can see quite a few different models for determining the investment into a profession. I think what you’re describing is a little bit like the Borderlands skill trees, where you unlock access to the next row of skill by putting more points anywhere on that tree. The system could see a change like that, we’ll see if we can spec out a large enough skill tree for that to be clear.

3 Likes