Township Raid

Summary
every couple in game days there is a chance for monster to raid the town and if no one defends the town things can be broken or pages/ molds could do missing.

Core concept
there would be a chance that mob could spawn just outside or in the village to attack it. if the town is not defended in time book pages, mold, and structures would be damage and need to be found and or remade. on a successful defend you will be rewarded with in game items such as ore and hands maybe even a weapon. the tier of item you get could be depended on how much mobs you have killed during the raid.
Personal twist (optional)
you could get more point toward the goal if you killed using bow or throwing weapons.

I think this would be good if it waits for peak player times to raid and/or there is a way to find out when a raid will happen (with the raid still being during peak player time)

It would suck if it happened when no one is on, or when no one has time to get on.

2 Likes

The current enemies would not be able to do that, they aren’t that smart, maybe once the frog bandits are added.

4 Likes

there would be a settings where the raid would not happen if no one is online and the fewer ppl online the less mobs would spawn to attack but the lower quality items you can get from it

2 Likes

agreed just thought it would be a great idea for maybe before the first boss is added feel like it would be easy to add and keep ppl happy whil they try and develop more over world activity.

1 Like

What if nobody is in town when the raid comes? Maybe there would be a little notification or something of the such that the player gets when the town is raided. Perhaps bells that are “so loud” that they can be heard throughout the map, or better yet, a system of bells on strings that ring the whole map to alert of the raid.

I think it would be more based on the players near town than the players online, also their could either be a horn the raiders sound and/or a bell in town that people can use (most likely with some restrictions)

Not sure the bells on strings thing would make sense, the wind would make them ring most of the time. Perhaps some magic bell connect to other similar bells that all ring if one rings left by the old townies?

1 Like

maybe you could repair the top of the town hall and thats where the bell will be located and unless that is repaired you wouldnt get a bell sound to tell you

this way you would have a goal to repair it and a player could ring it before the invade started or the server would just check if it is repaired and ring it

4 Likes

Agree with @Edit . I’d also think that the raid should occur on peek player time. Also I would say that predictability is really important for the raids to become an exciting feature than an annoying feature. I would go so far and say that there should be an hour glass in the town hall so that the town prepares itself for the raids. Also it would be cool if all the buildings and stations could be destroyed. Therefor the town has to work together to repair everything and for that all professions would be needed. Keep in mind that the repair of the town a good resource sink is which would force everyone to help bc thinks like the cooking and blacksmith station would otherwise stay damaged. I’d still think that the bell is very Important to notify everyone who does not check the hour glass all the time.
Lastly I think that this should be more rare than

I’d go so far and say every 10 days or even 3 weeks or longer because otherwise it could be really exhausting and annoying.

2 Likes

This already happens. I clean up the forge, leave to go do something for 15 minutes, get back and the place is trashed again. No monsters needed.

But in all seriousness, something like this would be cool. Generally speaking, something to undo the progress on an established server would be neat to see. Once all the bridges are built, the molds have been found, and such, there isn’t a lot to do other than go find the occasional caldron for people to cook with (until someone melts it down). Having to keep up maintenance helps with the sense of community. And defending your town really helps with that feeling.

3 Likes

Love the idea of raids. To clarify, they’re probably going to be harder to make than bosses (in full design), but the AI capability isn’t too far off. As someone also suggested, the key goal of the raid enemies would absolutely be to cause infrastructure damage, since players don’t care too much about their lives, but loot and progress they do. Supporting that damage is the immediate gameplay thing we don’t yet have, and also a general manager to organize targets for AI, and manage the division of attackers and aggro.

3 Likes

Everything that isn’t structural or loot is acceptable casualties.

Speaking of them causing loss of items, it would be cool be able to get some of the items back in way of a counter raid for monsters that have their own base and are intelligent enough to steal.

1 Like

Yeah, I wonder how real we can make that. Like, can we have an enemy carry your sword from your house, all the way to their base and at a specific chest. Could give your weapon some crazy history.

Made from the metal we dove deep to get to, forged by my friend, handle’s made from another, with the craziest timber to get from the forest. Then we fought many battles and bosses with it, before it was stolen during a raid. Enemies carried it back to their camp, we couldn’t intercept them, and their camp was too strong so we had to wait. An enemy started using my sword, killed people and beasts with it, nearly destroying it in the process before a random adventurer felled the enemy and tried to sell the now battered sword.

We should think of a way to record the history of weapons for this sort of thing.

3 Likes

That would be so great, I love having items getting extra character to them like that, I was going to suggest being able to intercept the raids while they are walking back, but you beat me to it.

I would side on the idea of swords and tools like that not completely breaking, but entering a junk state where it becomes a lot harder to repair, but not losing that bit of history, maybe it could be part of a small “enduing” enchant for those people that would prefer shelling out the mats for heavy repairs, rather than losing it.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’d probably never break but just be severely damaged.

Also, I just figured out a way to tell the story of a weapon/tool, but I’m not sure if I should reveal it. Hehehe…

1 Like

Oh that sounds great, I would suggest the possess of checking the history to not be supper easy or cheep so that there is more of that carrying around what seems to be junk, but has tons of history kind of stuff.

My best guess for the history thing is a identify skill or station, most obvious idea I think.

1 Like

I literally was thinking of the same idea.
Maybe the identify skill could be bought for a high price or
could come with the survival skill tree (from the other thread.)

Also I think that you should be able to level your identifying skill. So that a level one can only see the first event and a max level can trace it back to the last event event.

1 Like

Leveling up the skill would be pretty interesting and would add more depth to people’s skill in it.

I’m thinking it would either be in the survival tree, as you said, or a merchant job tree.

Gosh dang it, now I want skills to have their own leveling system…

1 Like